An act of the NH Legislature passed in January 1891 session called for the establishment of free public libraries. At its annual meeting in March 1892, town of Milton voters adopted the pro-visions and passed the necessary votes for the establishment and permanent maintenance of the Milton Free Public Library, to be located in Milton Mills.
The state, through the Board of Library Commissioners, donated books to the town to the value of $100 as a basis for the library. The trustees obtained a suitable and centrally located room and employed Harry E. Wentworth as librarian. The town’s appropriation for rent, salary, and supplies for the year 1892 totaled $84.15.
The Nute Library in Milton Village was free to all residents in the town, but it was not convenient for those living in Milton Mills to use. However, the location of the Milton Free Public Library at Milton Mills would “…prove to be a great moral and education profit to those availing themselves of its benefits, especially to the children whose eagerness to obtain and read the books has both surprised and delighted the trustees.” Over the next twenty-four years the Milton Free Public Library greatly increased its patronage and number of volumes.
In 1910, Samuel Remick left his entire estate $2,874.78 to the town of Milton to establish a building for the library. By 1916 enough interest had accrued to purchase land and complete construction of the Remick Memorial Building which housed the books and programs until 1992 when the library was moved to “The Little Red School House” in Milton Mills, where it has been serving residents of Milton, Milton Mills, and surrounding communities for the last twenty-five years.